- Recipe created by FabFood on Jan 5, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/mark-bittman-s-spanish-potato-omelet
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound waxy red or white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, peeled if desired, seeded and sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup minced parsley leaves
- 1. Place about half the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet, preferably non-stick, and turn the heat to medium. Add the potato slices and season liberally with salt and pepper. Cook, turning gently from time to time, until they soften, about 20 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- 2. Add the remaining oil to the pan, followed by the onion and red pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until nice and soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- 3. Return the potatoes to the skillet and turn the heat to medium-low. Continue to cook, turning with a spatula, for about 5 more minutes. Beat the eggs with the parsley.
- 4. Turn the heat to low and pour the eggs over the potatoes. Shake the pan to distribute the eggs evenly and cook, undisturbed, for about 5 minutes. Transfer to the oven and bake until the mixture is set, about 10 minutes more. Remove the pan and cool to room temperature before cutting into chunks or wedges; serve.