- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Mandel Bread -- Traditional Jewish Holiday Cookies. These traditional holiday cookies are a favorite for Hanukkah.
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, almonds, or pecans
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350Â° degrees F.
- Beat eggs, add sugar and oil and mix well. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate dough for several hours or overnight. On heavily floured surface, shape into 3 narrow loaves. Bake on floured sheet for 20 - 25 minutes. Slice diagonally while hot. Place slices on greased and floured sheet and toast for 2 minutes per side at 450Â°F.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix into Creamed mixture just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and pecan pieces.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough 3 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake one baking sheet at a time for 8 to 10 minutes for chewy cookies, or 11 to 3 minutes for crisp cookies. DO NOT OVER BAKE.
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cream butter flavored shortening, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla in large bowl. Beat with mixer at medium speed until well blended. Beat egg into Cream