- Recipe created by FabFood on Oct 29, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/lemon-blueberry-california-walnut-bread
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 3/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries Glaze:
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In dry skillet, toast walnuts over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In medium bowl, combine sugar, lemon zest, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, melted butter and oil. Whisk just to combine. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients. Add liquid ingredients and mix gently just to combine; do not over-mix. Gently fold in walnuts and blueberries.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 8 x 4-inch loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool on rack for 20 minutes; remove from pan, cool to room temperature.
- glaze: Combine 3 tablespoons sugar and lemon juice in small saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat then cook, stirring until sugar dissolves. Brush glaze over cake while still warm.
- Makes 1 loaf Tips: Leftover buttermilk can be frozen for future use. If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw before adding to the recipe.
- Nutrition information per serving: 280 calories, 5g protein, 40g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 90mg sodium, 12g total fat, 2.5g saturated fat
Quick, Fruit, Baked Goods, Cakes, Vegetarian, RV, Picnics, Gifts, Brown Bagging, Quick and Easy, Make Ahead, Kid Friendly, New Year's, Valentines Day, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Fourth of July, Christmas, Freezer Friendly