- Recipe created by FabFood on Jan 13, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/just-like-grandma-s-bannock
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 7 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water (105 °F/41ºC)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- canola oil for frying
- Makes 15 Small Bannock
- In a large bowl, add flour and make a hole in the center. In a separate bowl, combine water, salt, sugar, 1 tablespoon canola oil, and yeast and stir. Pour into the hole in the flour and mix together by hand to form dough. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. Place dough in a sealed container or covered bowl and let rise at room temperature for 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 1/2 inch (1 cm) thickness, then cut into 2 1/2 inch (6 1/2 cm) squares.
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 inches (5 cm) of oil. As soon as the square of dough is dropped into the hot oil, turn it 3 times so that it puffs up evenly. Repeat with several pieces at a time and fry until golden brown, for 3 minutes on each side until all the dough has been fried.
- Tips and Suggestions: * Make sure to use lukewarm water; if it is too hot or too cold the yeast won’t properly activate. * For large bannock, cut into 4 inch (10 cm) squares. For medium bannock cut into 3 inch (8 cm) squares. * Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Bannock – For a coffee break or midday treat, lightly spread softened butter over freshly made bannock and sprinkle with a mixture of Cinnamon and Brown Sugar.