- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/japanese-pickled-ginger
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 4 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and sliced paper-thin
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon plus a sprinkle of pickling salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon light Japanese soy sauce
- Makes 1 Cup
- 1. Put the ginger slices into a bowl, and cover them with cold water. Let them stand 30 minutes.
- 2. Drain the ginger. Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan, and add the ginger. Bring the water back to a boil, then Drain the ginger. Let it cool.
- 3. Put the ginger into a bowl. Sprinkle it lightly with salt. In a saucepan, bring to a boil the vinegar, sugar, salt, and soy sauce, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Pour the hot liquid over the ginger, and mix well. Let the ginger stand at least 1 hour before using it.
- 4. Store the ginger in the refrigerator in a container tightly covered with a nonreactive cap. It will keep several months, at least.