- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
This ethnic recipe is a great example of how others make there Christmas holiday desserts special. If you are looking to try a new dessert this Christmas, you must give this recipe a try.
- 2 pounds rasins
- 1/2 pound prunes
- 1/2 pound dates
- red wine to soak fruit
- 6 tablespoons Jamaican white rum
- 1/2 pound cherries, do not soak with other fruits
- 1 pound butter
- 3/4 pound dark brown sugar
- 10 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pound flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons mixed spice (NOT allspice!)
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Grind rasins, prunes and dates, reserving 1/2 pound raisins, and soak in wine and rum.
- Add the raisins that was not ground.
- Chop 1/2 pound of cherries and set aside.
- Line the sides and bottom of two 9" baking pans with a double layer of greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 2 at a time, creaming after each addition.
- After adding the eggs, move the mixture to a larger bowl and prepare to manually do the balance of the recipe by hand.
- Add baking powder, mixed spice and cinnamon to the flour.
- Add flour mixture to the butter mixture by folding it in.
- Continuously add flour mixture to butter mixture.
- Add soaked fruits to flour/egg mixture and thoroughly fold it in.
- Add cut-up cherries to mixture, leave a few cherries for decorating top of cake.
- Pour mixture in the 2 lined 9" baking pans.
- Bake in preheated oven until done, using a toothpick to check.
- Stick cakes all over with a toothpick and sprinkle sherry over hot baked cakes.