- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Irish Coffee Pudding. This Irish Whiskey laced pudding would be perfect for a St. Patrick's Day dessert.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup very strong coffee
- 1 1/2 ounces unflavored gelatin powder
- 1/3 cup Irish whiskey or Irish Mist liqueur
- 2 1/4 cup whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts
- Heat the coffee until hot but not boiling: add the gelatin and dissolve it in the coffee. Mix this mixture into the yolks and sugar. Place in a double boiler (or in a stainless stell bowl suspended over boiling water). Continue beating until mixture begins to thicken, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat, and when the bowl has cooled a little, place it over cracked ice and continue stirring. Beat 1 1/4 cups cream. When pudding mixture has cooled and is on the point of setting, fold in cream. Stir in the the whiskey or Irish Mist. Lastly, fold in the well-beaten egg whites. Pour into a soufflÃ© dish that has a double thickness of parchment paper tied around it: the paper should come up 3 inches above the top of the soufflÃ© dish. Oil a jam-jar or bottle and press it down into the center of the pudding, this will leave a well that will later be filled.
- Chill for several hours to set. Remove the paper collar by easing around the circumference with a knife dipped in hot water. Carefully remove the jar or bottle, and fill the center with 1 cup sweetened whipped, cream. Decorate the exposed sides of the pudding with crushed walnuts, pressed on with the palm of your hand.