- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/holly-clegg-s-german-chocolate-angel-pie
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons water
- 8 fat free frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until foamy. Add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in 1 tablespoon vanilla. Spoon into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray and form a nest-like shell. Bake for 45 minutes. Cool.
- In a microwave-safe cup, melt the chocolate in the water for 1 minute, stir until melted. Cool. Add remaining vanilla. Fold whipped topping into cooled chocolate. Spoon into the meringue shell.
- To Prepare and Eat Now: Freeze until firm enough to slice.
- To Freeze: Freeze. To store, wrap, label, and freeze.
- To Prepare After Freezing: Thaw slightly to serve.
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2.5 other carbohydrate, 1 fat.