- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Grandpa's Apple Dumplings. All ages will enjoy this cinnamon, brown sugar, apple treat. A good old fashioned American dessert.
- 6 medium sized apples
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add milk and mix together lightly, working dough together.
- Roll dough into 6 squares. Place an apple on each. Fill cavity in apple with sugar and cinnamon. Wrap dough around the apple. Place dumplings in a baking pan.
- Combine all sauce ingredients except butter. Cook for 5 minutes. Add butter. Pour sauce over the dumplings. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Serve hot with milk.
- One could also cut up apples, roll dough out in a piece 1/4 inch thick, and then spread chopped apples over dough. Roll up as a jelly roll. Cut in slices 1 1/4 inch thick. Place slices on a baking pan, cover with sauce and Bake.