- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/gertel-s-bake-shoppe-chocolate-babkas
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1/2 cup active yeast
- 4 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1/4 pounds (5 sticks) margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract Chocolate Filling:
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Makes 8 Loaf Sized Babkas -- Serves 55 (you read that right)
- Preheat the oven to 300° F.
- In a large bowl dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water, stir in the sugar, and let stand for 10 minutes until foamy. Add the remaining water, eggs, margarine, salt, flour and vanilla and use an electric mixer to mix until the dough holds together and achieves a shine. The dough should be soft and slightly warm. Turn the dough out on a lightly oiled board, knead, cover, and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Mix together the cocoa, sugar, vanilla, and pinch of salt. Lightly grease eight 9 X 5 1/2-inch loaf pans. Divide the dough into 4 parts. Oil your hands and stretch the dough by pulling portions with your hands to equal the length of the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 of the chocolate filling onto each section of the dough. Begin to twist and turn the dough, starting at the bottom, so the chocolate mixture runs throughout. Cut each piece in half, place the halves in the loaf pans and allow them to rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake the halves at 300° F for 30 minutes. Cool, slice and serve.