- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for German Pfeffernusse Cookies. Here's a festive traditional German holiday cookie to add to your holiday baking repertoire.
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black or white pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- confectioner's sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350Â° F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets, or line with parchment paper. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, pepper, cloves and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening, until creamy, gradually beat in honey and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. beat in egg, then lower mixer speed and gradually mix in the flour mixture, beating just until blended. Shape dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
- Scoop tablespoon-sized balls and roll into balls. Dust hands with confectioner's sugar to prevent sticking while forming cookies. Place balls an inch apart on prepared baking sheets and bake about 15 minutes, or until golden and slightly cracked. Cool slightly on baking sheets before removing to a wire rack. When cookies are still lightly warm, roll in confectioner's sugar to completely coat the cookies. Store in an airtight container.