- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/garlic-flans-with-basil-and-arugula-salad
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 1/4 cups garlic cloves, peeled (about 3 heads)
- 1/3 pound parsnips, washed, peeled, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- dash of Tabasco® sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic, optional
- 2 cups (about 2 ounces) loosely packed baby arugula leaves
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups Balsamic Vinaigrette (see links below for recipe)
- 2 roasted red or yellow bell peppers or a mixture stemmed, seeded, peeled, and cut into strips
- Flans In a medium saucepan, combine the garlic, parsnips, and milk and bring to a boil. Lower the heat so the liquid is simmering and cook until the parsnips are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes. Strain, reserving 3/4 cup of the milk, and purée the parsnips and garlic in a food processor for 2 to 3 minutes, or until very smooth. Add the reserved milk, the eggs, cream, salt, pepper, and Tabasco®. Add the additional teaspoon of garlic and process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Generously butter six 4-ounce ramekins and set them in a large roasting pan. Bring a kettle of water to a boil for the water bath (bain-marie). Pour the flan mixture into the ramekins, filling them completely, and fill the roasting pan with boiling water so that it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Place the roasting pan on the stove-top and bring the water back to a boil, then transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the center of each flan is firm, about 50 minutes. Remove the ramekins from the water bath and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Salad In a medium mixing bowl, toss the arugula and basil leaves together with just enough balsamic dressing to coat.
- Assembly Run a small knife gently around the inside of each ramekin to release the flans. Invert one onto each of 6 large plates. Scatter a few of the dressed greens around the flans and garnish with the strips of roasted bell peppers. Serve warm.