- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Four Grain Waffles. This healthy cooking tasty breakfast recipe is from the Culinary Institute of America’s fabulous new book Techniques of Healthy Cooking.
- 12 fluid ounces nonfat buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 fluid ounces vegetable oil
- 4 ounces all purpose flour
- 3 ounces whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 ounces cornmeal
- 2 1/2 ounces rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ounce sugar vegetable oil spray as needed
- Makes 16 Waffles Portion Information: two six-inch square waffles 1. Combine buttermilk, egg, egg whites, and oil in a large bowl.
- 2. Combine the flours, cornmeal, oats, baking powder, and sugar in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients and mix just until incorporated.
- 3. Lightly spray a hot waffle iron with vegetable oil. Ladle 2 fluid ounces of the batter into the waffle iron and cook until the waffle is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with fresh fruit and yogurt, warm fruit compote or maple syrup. Nutrition Per Serving (not counting serving suggestion ingredients): 365 calories; 9g fat; 55g total carbohydrates; 15g protein; 456mg sodium; 46mg cholesterol.