- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/flat-iron-steak-with-tomatoes-and-anchovy-vinaigrette
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Flatiron Steak and Tomatoes with Anchovy Vinaigrette. This preparation calls for sautéing the anchovies with garlic and crushed red pepper.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 anchovy fillets, packed in olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 flatiron steak, 1 pound
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- Prepare and light a charcoal grill for direct cooking.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 6-inch skillet over low heat. Add the anchovies and break up with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until the anchovies become aromatic. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the garlic is cooked through but not browned. Remove from the heat and stir in about 2 tablespoons of the vinegar. Set aside.
- When the grill is at its hottest (when the coals are red and glowing and too hot to hold your hand over the grill for more than a couple of seconds), season the steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the steak on the cooking grate directly over the coals and cook, uncovered, turning once, for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare; the timing will depend on the thickness of the steak. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5minutes.
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange in the center of a serving platter. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the remaining 1 teaspoon of vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Slice the steak thinly across the grain and arrange over the tomatoes. Pour the anchovy vinaigrette over the top of the steak. Serve.