- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/eggless-sweet-potato-kugel
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 8-10 sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons margarine (or 4 tablespoons cottonseed oil, frozen)
- 1/4 cup wine
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt Topping:
- 1-2 apples
- lemon juice
- Makes two 9" round pans Kugel
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place unpeeled sweet potatoes in a pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until soft. Remove the potato peels and place potatoes in a bowl. Add the rest of the kugel ingredients to the warm potatoes. Mash ingredients together and spoon into a pan (loaf, square, round, whichever you prefer).
- Peel the apples and cut into eighths. Slice thinly (dip slices in lemon juice so that they will not oxidize), and arrange in an attractive pattern on top of kugel. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Variation: For a sweeter kugel, in step 2 add 1/2 cup sugar and 3-4 tablespoons potato starch to the mixture. (The sugar will loosen the mixture and the starch will thicken it again.) In step 3, after you slice the apples do not dip them in lemon juice. Layer them attractively on top of the sweet potatoes and sprinkle top with sugar or sugar/cinnamon mixture.