- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/early-texas-pecan-pralines
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves or pieces
- Makes 2 Dozen
- Mix sugar, milk and baking soda in a large heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent the milk from scorching. After about 12 to 15 minutes, the mixture will start to thicken. (To test for doneness, drop a small amount of milk syrup into cold water. If it forms a small ball in the water, the syrup has cooked sufficiently.)
- Once syrup is ready, remove from the heat and add butter and vanilla; mix until creamy. Then stir in the pecans so they are thoroughly coated.
- Quickly drop mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls onto a buttered baking sheet or piece of waxed paper. Let cool until solid.
- When candies are cool, place in a covered container. They will keep 2 to 3 days at room temperature.