- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/deep-south-marinated-slaw
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Slaw:
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into slim wedges
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green cabbage (about 3 pounds), trimmed of coarse outer leaves, quartered, cored, then cut in columns the width of the food processor tube
- 1. For the dressing: Place all the ingredients in a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade and blend by churning 3 to 5 seconds. Empty into a small nonreactive saucepan, set over low heat, and bring slowly to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, begin the slaw: Add the onion and green pepper to the processor (no need to wash the bowl or blade), and with 3 second churnings, chop very fine. Using a plastic spatula and minding the blasé, scrape the bowl and stir the mixture between churnings. Empty into a large nonreactive mixing bowl.
- 3. Remove the chopping blade and insert the slicing disk. Lay a column of cabbage on its side in the feed tube, top with as many more as will fit, then exerting gentle pressure on the pusher, pulse through the slicing disk. Repeat until all the cabbage has been sliced. Add to the bowl with the onion and green pepper.
- 4. As soon as the dressing boils, pour over the cabbage mixture and toss well. Cool to room temperature, toss well again, cover, and refrigerate for several hours.
- 5. toss the slaw well again just before serving, then dish up with tongs (the cabbage oozes considerable water as it marinates.