- Recipe created by FabFood on Oct 29, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/curry-chicken-salad-with-walnuts
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 2 1/2 - 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt (for the cooking water), plus salt to taste if desired
- 2 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 - 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black or white pepper
- 1/4 cup mango chutney
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 4 green onions, including the white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 3 cups (about 1 pound) seedless red grapes cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) chopped toasted walnuts
- 12 or more leaves butter or red leaf lettuce
- 12 or more orange slices or wedges
- To cook the chicken, in a large pan bring the water and salt to a boil over high heat. Add the chicken, and then reduce the heat and cook, partially covered, for 15 minutes; the water should simmer gently, not boil hard. Remove from heat and set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the cooking liquid and, as soon as it is cool enough to handle, cut it into bite-sized pieces about 1/2-inch across. You will have 6 - 7 cups chicken, more or less. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, in a large bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, curry powder, cumin, mustard, pepper, chutney. Add the grapes, parsley, green onion, walnuts and chicken pieces. Stir and toss with a large spoon to coat everything evenly with the dressing. Taste the salad, and add more curry powder, and salt to taste, if you wish. Place each serving of salad on a lettuce leaf and garnish with an orange slice or two.
- Nutritional information per serving: 495 calories, 31g protein, 16g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 325mg sodium, 89mg cholesterol, 35g fat, 4g saturated fat.