- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/creamy-pumpkin-polenta
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- about 5 cups water, or chicken or vegetable stock (have an additional couple of cups of boiling liquid handy)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup corn meal
- 3/4 cup cooked (or canned) pumpkin
- 1/2 cup cream cheese (cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Bring water or stock and salt to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Stir in pumpkin. SLOWLY pour in corn meal while continuously stirring. An easy way of doing this is to pick up handfulls of cornmeals and let it run through your fingers in a very SLOW stream. NEVER STOP STIRRING. If mixture gets too thick and impossible to stir, add more boiling liquid. Once cornmeal has been added, stir in the small pieces of cream cheese (a little at a time) until cheese is completely melted and incorporated into the mixture. Continue cooking and stirring for about twenty minutes. If you don't cook the polenta long enough, you won't achieve the proper creamy consistency. Continue to add additional liquid as necessary. The proper consistency should be that of a thick Cream Of Wheat Cereal. Your spoon should be able to stand straight up when stuck in the middle and the mixture should pull away from the sides of the pot.