- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Classic Steak Tartare. Parisian brasseries and elegant Black Forest hotels and restaurants share an affinity for this classic raw beef dish.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- 3 1/2 tablespoons capers
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 cup high quality cognac
- 1 pound ground beef tenderloin
- anchovy filets for serving
- 4 egg yolks for serving (optional)
- 1. Combine the mustard, oil, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, and 1 1/2 tablespoons each of the capers, onion, and parsley in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and puree until smooth.
- 2. Place the beef in a medium bowl and add the puree, paprika, and Cognac, tossing gently to combine. (Aggressive mixing will make the tartare tough.) Divide the tartare into four portions and roll each into a ball. Press into patties and score decoratively with cross hatches using the back of a knife.
- 3. To serve, set each tartare in the center of a plate, arrange anchovies as well as the remaining capers, onion, and parsley around it, and, of desired, top the tartare with an egg yolk.