- Recipe created by FabFood on Dec 22, 2010
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/classic-cheese-souffle
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Simple, but elegant souffles perfect for any brunch.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Swiss cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, mustard and cayenne until smooth; slowly adding the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Remove from the heat. Add in a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Pour into four greased 10-oz. souffle dishes or custard cups. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately.