- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Cilantro Corn Bread. You’ll love the pungent herb of cilantro in this bread. Feel free to add jalapeños or chopped roasted green chiles if you like.
- 3 strips bacon
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk, buttermilk, or yogurt
- In a cast iron skillet (or other heavy-bottomed, ovenproof skillet), cook bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Do not drain bacon grease from the pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, cheese, green onions, and cilantro.
- In another bowl, beat together the eggs and milk.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones, until just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the cast iron skillet (it should still be very warm), and bake 18 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the corn bread comes out clean. Serve hot.