- Recipe created by FabFood on Nov 3, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/chocolate-walnut-gelato
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Dutch processed, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup walnuts finely chopped, toasted
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, bring water, sugar and cocoa powder to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar is completely dissolved and cocoa is well blended, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until melted. Let cool completely.
- Stir in orange zest and California walnuts. Cover and refrigerate until completely cold, about 4 hours.
- Spoon chilled chocolate into shallow metal pan; freeze until almost firm, about 3 hours. Break into chunks; purée in food processor. Pack into airtight container and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Alternatively, transfer chilled mixture to ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Chef’s Tip: Use good quality chocolate to achieve the best results; do not use baking chocolate for this recipe.
- Nutrition information per serving: 200 calories, 4g protein, 21g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 0mg sodium, 12g total fat, 3.5g saturated fat.