- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 8 ounces cream cheese, well chilled
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, well chilled
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apricot spreadable fruit (preserves)
- 3/4 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoons granulated sugar mixed with
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make the dough, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a stationary electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. At low speed, mix until smooth, but still dotted with bits of butter and cream cheese. Mix in the vanilla and sugar. Add the flour and continue to mix until just incorporated.
- Gather the dough into a ball. Wrap the ball in wax paper and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Lightly grease cookie sheets with butter.
- Mix the sugars for filling in a small bowl and set aside.
- Unwrap dough and but into 6 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 piece, shaping it into a 12\" x 4\" rectangle. Coat with 1 tablespoon of the spreadable fruit. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the sugar mixture and 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips on top. Starting with the long end, roll up into a log. Paint the log with 1 tablespoon milk. Dust liberally with the cinnamon and sugar mixture. But into 8 pieces.
- Repeat the process for each of the 5 remaining pieces of dough. Place the rugalach on the prepared baking sheets and bake for about 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.