- Recipe created by FabFood on Dec 26, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/chocolate-chip-cookies-straight-up-or-with-nuts
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 6 tablespoons butter - or 4 ounces -- softened but still cool
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar - or 6 1/4 ounces
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar - or 4 ounces
- 1 large egg - or 1 1/2 ounces by weight
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour plus 3 tablespoons -- or 7 ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped the size of chocolate chips, or bittersweet chocolate chips -- about 1 1/2 cups
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts -- or 3 ounces, optional
- Makes 3 Dozen Cookies
- In a large bowl using a wooden spoon, cream together the butter and brown and granulated sugars until smooth but not over mixed. (I do this by hand, but if you use a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, beat on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes, and then scrape down the sides of the bowl before continuing.) Add the egg, vanilla, and salt and stir until just combines. Sift in the flour, baking soda, and baking powder and stir gently just until combined. Add the chocolate and nuts and stir just until evenly distributed throughout the dough. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Position the racks in the upper and lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop up 1 inch balls of dough with a spoon or mini scoop and set them 2 inches apart on the prepared pans.
- Bake the cookies, rotating the pans after 7 to 9 minutes, for 13 to 17 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown. If you like a very soft cookie, bake them for 13 minutes. If you like a crisp cookie, Bake for 17 minutes. Transfer to racks and let cool.
- I think these cookies are best the day they are Baked, but they will keep in an airtight cookie jar for up to 4 days – if they last that long.
Drop, Vegetarian, RV, Picnics, Gifts, Brown Bagging, Quick and Easy, Make Ahead, Kid Friendly, New Year's, Valentines Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Fourth of July, Halloween, Christmas, Chocolate Chip, Restaurant Recipes