- Recipe created by FabFood on Jan 13, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/chilled-vegan-cream-of-corn-and-watercress-soup
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 6 medium ears fresh sweet corn
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups chopped watercress leaves and stems
- 2 cups rice milk, or as needed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, or more to taste
- Makes 6 to 8 Servings (Nutritional Info Calculated on 7 Servings)
- Cook the corn in plenty of rapidly simmering water until the kernels are just tender, then remove the corn with the tongs and reserve the cooking water. When the corn is cool enough to handle, scrape the kernels off the cobs with a sharp knife. Set the kernels aside.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onions and garlic and sauté over medium-low heat until golden.
- Add the potatoes and 4 cups of the cooking liquid from the corn, and bring to a rapid simmer, them lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add half of the watercress. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes longer, then remove from the heat.
- Set aside a cup of the corn kernels and puree the remainder in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Return the puree to the soup pot, along with the corn puree, the reserved corn kernels, and the reserved watercress.
- Return to low heat and stir in enough rice milk to give the soup a slightly thick consistency. Season with salt and pepper, then cover and simmer over low heat for another 10 to 15 minutes. Let the soup cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled. Top each serving with a sprinkle of oregano leaves.
- Per Serving: 186 Calories; 5g Total Fat; 5g Protein; 4g Fiber; 35g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 31mg Sodium.