- Recipe created by FabFood on Dec 30, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/chickpeas-with-spinach-garbanzos-con-espinacas
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, 1 chopped and 1 left whole
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pimenton (Spanish paprika)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- pinch of cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 8 peppercorns
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas, cooking liquid reserved
- 1 cup cooked and chopped spinach
- Serves 6 As An Entrée; 12 As a Tapa
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and chopped garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the tomato and cook until slightly reduced, 5 minutes. Stir in the pimenton, cumin, cayenne, and cloves.
- In a mortar, crush the saffron and peppercorns with the remaining clove of garlic. Dissolve the spices in 3 tablespoons of water and add to the pan with the chickpeas and 2 cups of their liquid, the spinach, and salt to taste. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, adding additional water if necessary. The mixture should be juicy, not soupy. Serve hot.