- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/chicken-with-winter-vegetables
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 medium-sized organic chicken
- 1 large bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 4 bunches thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 small head fennel, finely minced
- 3 leeks, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small head celery root, roughly chopped
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound small waxy potatoes, peeled
- Remove the giblets and wash the chicken well. Place in a large earthenware casserole with a lid.
- Separate the parsley leaves from their stalks and set aside. Throw the thyme, bay leaves, parsley stalks, and vegetables into the casserole. Pour in the wine and season with a little seas salt and plenty of black pepper. Cover and cook, in the middle of the oven, for 2 1/2 hours. When the chicken is cooked, remove and discard the parsley stalks. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and cover with plastic wrap. Now boil the potatoes until cooked.
- Finely chop the reserved parsley leaves and add to the cooked vegetables, check the seasoning, and stir well.
- The best way of serving this dish is to savor the thick vegetable and parsley soup to start with and then move on to the room-temperature chicken, accompanied by the potatoes, with a light Dijon mustard on the side.