- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/chef-wayne-martin-s-french-onion-soup
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Chef Wayne Martin's French Onion Soup. This onion soup is a perfect example of a symphony of flavors that blend perfectly.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 8 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- For Garnish:
- 8 small pieces toast from good French bread
- about 1 Cup shredded cheese, such as freshly grated Gruyere or Parmesan
- Heat butter and oil in a large pot. Add onions and cook until brown. Add garlic, sugar, and thyme and cook for 10 minutes more. Stir in the flour, then the wine, then slowly stir in the stock. Simmer for 45 minutes. Skim off any foam, stir in brandy . Garnish by floating a piece of toast covered with melted cheese in the middle of the soup.