- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/chef-sal-s-manhattan-clam-chowder
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Chef Sal's Manhattan Clam Chowder. This recipe is from the annual Santa Cruz, California Clam Chowder Cook-off. This makes a big batch to feed a crowd.
- 2 pounds butter or margarine
- 1 pound flour
- 7 or 8 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) clams
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) clam juice
- 2 tablespoons clam base or fish bouillon
- 2 cans ( 2 1/2 pound each) of stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 1/2 gallons water
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 10 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- Make a roux by melting butter or margarine and adding flour a little at a time. Whip well and set aside (click here for detailed roux making instructions).
- Combine onions, celery, clams, clam juice, clam base or bouillon, tomatoes, bell peppers and water in a large (2 gallon plus) stock pot. Heat to boiling and cook until clams and vegetables are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Add rosemary, pepper and potatoes and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Thicken with the roux as needed, then simmer until thoroughly warm.