- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/cantonese-style-gingery-sweet-pickled-vegetables
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1/2 pound pickling cucumbers (2 - 3 inch)
- 1 teaspoon pickling salt
- 1/2 cup peeled, thin-sliced fresh ginger
- 2 small dried chile peppers
- 1 1/2 cups rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups diagonal carrot slices (1/5 inch thick)
- 1 large bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 3/4 pound onions (1 large or 2 medium), cut into 1-inch chunks
- Makes 2 Quarts
- 1. Gently wash the cucumbers and cut them into 1-inch lengths, discarding a thin slice from each end. Toss the cucumbers with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Let the cucumbers stand for 1 to 2 hours.
- 2. In a large nonreactive saucepan, bring to a boil the ginger, chile peppers, vinegar, water, sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Remove the pot from the heat, and add the carrots. Let the mixture cool.
- 3. Drain and rinse the cucumbers, and Drain them again. Add the cucumbers, pepper, and onion to the saucepan. Mix well, then transfer the vegetables and liquid to a 2-quart jar. Cover the jar with a nonreactive cap, and refrigerate it.
- The pickles will be ready to eat after about 3 days. Refrigerated, they will keep for at least 2 months.