- Recipe created by FabFood on Oct 29, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/buttermilk-walnut-coffee-cake-with-orange-essence
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, the salt and ginger and sift together into a large bowl. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and stir until the sugars are mixed evenly with the flour. Add the orange zest and oil and stir until the mixture is damp and crumbly.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the crumbly mixture to a small bowl and add the walnuts and the remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside, to use for topping later.
- Add the baking powder and baking soda to the mixture in the large bowl, then stir and toss to combine. Beat together buttermilk and egg, add to the flour mixture, and stir just until the batter is blended; don’t over mix, some small lumps are okay.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan and sprinkle evenly with the reserved topping mixture. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until the center of the cake springs back when pressed lightly, or a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Makes one 13 x 9 inch coffee cake: 20 pieces Nutrition information per serving: Calories: 370, Fat: 28 g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Protein: 12g, Carbohydrate: 19g, Cholesterol: 20mg, Sodium: 270 mg, Fiber: 2g.