- Recipe created by FabFood on Jan 5, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/brennan-s-of-houston-texas-strawberry-salad
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 baguette, cut into 1/2 inch diagonal slices
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup fresh cow's or goat's milk cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh herbs (thyme, basil and oregano)
- 8 ounces mixed greens (arugula, endive and mache)
- 8 Texas strawberries, quartered
- Texas Strawberry Vinaigrette:
- 2 cups Texas strawberries, quartered, divided
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Candied Almonds:
- 1/4 cup whole almonds
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- For the Vinaigrette: Puree 1 1/2 cups strawberries with the shallot and vinegar, using an immersion blender in a mixing bowl. In a slow stream, whisk in the oil to create a creamy emulsion. Adjust seasoning. Add the remaining strawberries Allow for flavors to marry a few hours before serving.
- For the Nuts: Toss almonds with oil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350ºF for 10 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes. Toss with confectioner's sugar. Cool and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- To Plate: Dip baguette slices in butter. Toast or broil until golden brown. Combine the cheese and herbs; spread over bread. Broil until hot and bubbly. In a large mixing bowl, Toss the greens, almonds, quartered strawberries and vinaigrette. Arrange on plates; top with toast.