- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Better'n Mom's Prune Cake. This dense flavorful cake contains prunes, an often misunderstood fruit, and healthy walnuts.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- dash of nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup corn, vegetable or canola oil
- 3/4 cup dark rum (* see note for rum substitution)
- 1 3/4 cups pitted, coarsely chopped dried prunes
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sifted confectioner\'s sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dark rum (*see note below)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350Â° F.
- Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Stir with fork to mix. Set aside.
- Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add sugars and Beat thoroughly. With mixer running, add oil and Beat until well blended. By hand, fold in dry ingredients in thirds, alternating with two additions of rum. Add prunes and nuts before the last addition of dry ingredients. Mix well. Turn into a well greased, 12 cup fluted tube pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool upright in pan for 15 minutes then invert and remove from pan. Cool thoroughly.
- While cake is cooling, prepare glaze. Melt butter and remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and rum. Drizzle glaze over cake and immediately sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- * Substitution: If you don\'t want to use rum, you can substitute 1 cup buttermilk mixed with 1 tablespoon orange zest and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract for the rum in the cake and 2 1/2 tablespoons orange juice mixed with 1 teaspoon orange zest for the glaze.