- Recipe created by FabFood on Jun 1, 2009
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/beef-burgers-with-feta-cucumber-avocado-and-tomatoes
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Beef Burgers with Feta, Cucumber, Avocado and Tomatoes - a unique take on the burger concept by Sally Sampson author of Recipe of the Week: Burgers.
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 1 perfectly ripe avocado
- 1 beefsteak tomato, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the feta, cucumber, avocado, tomato, oregano, olive oil and lemon juice in a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Place the beef on a work surface and divide into 4 balls of equal size. Form each into a patty about 3/4 to 1 inch thick, tossing it back and forth between your hands. To ensure more even cooking, make a 1/2-inch indentation with your thumb in the center of the burger. Handle the patties as little as possible, do not work more than necessary.
- Prepare a grill to medium-high heat. When the coals are glowing red, after 15 to 20 minutes, cover with the grate. Brush the grate with oil. When the coals are covered with a pale gray ash and you can leave your hand 5 inches above the fire for 2 to 3 seconds, the coals are ready.
- Sprinkle both sides of the burgers with salt and pepper. Place the burgers on the grate and grill until well seared on both sides, about 5 minutes for medium-rare or 6 minutes for medium. Transfer to buns or a serving platter and serve immediately topped with equal amounts of the feta mixture.
- Alternatively, place a cast iron skillet over high heat and when it is hot but not smoking, add the burgers to the dry pan. Cook until well seared on both sides, 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare or 10 to 12 minutes for medium.