- Recipe created by FabFood on Sep 9, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/barley-mushroom-casserole
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Vegetarian Barley Mushroom Casserole. A Czech-American recipe that Czech families call cermi buba, it is also a popular Eastern European Jewish casserole. From the book Bake Until Bubbly by Clifford A. Wright.
- 1/2 cup dried mushrooms, such as porcini or shitake
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons melted lard or butter
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Soak the dried mushrooms in 2 cups tepid water for 30 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the soaking liquid (reserving the liquid) and chop them finely. Add enough water to the soaking liquid to equal 3 cups total.
- 2. Combine the soaking liquid, chopped mushrooms, and barley in a heavy medium-flame and ovenproof casserole dish. Stir in the salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the barley is soft and water is nearly all absorbed, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 4. Stir the garlic, onion, melted lard or butter, and marjoram into the barley mixture. Season with black pepper. Cover tightly and bake until the liquid is absorbed and the barley is moist, about 30 minutes.