- Recipe created by FabFood on Oct 28, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/baked-pitas-with-walnuts-and-cherry-tomatoes
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1/3 cup chopped California walnuts
- 4 6-inch pita breads, cut into eighths
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (about q1/2 pint)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion (about 1/4 medium onion)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place the walnuts and pita pieces on a large nonstick baking sheet. (Keep the walnuts and pita pieces separated on the baking sheet.) Bake in the center of the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the walnuts are slightly browned and the pitas are toasted and slightly dry. Remove from the oven and put on a heatproof surface.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the walnuts and the remaining ingredients to mix well. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the walnut-tomato mixture on top of each pita piece. Bake in the center of the oven at 350ºF for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is slightly melted and the mixture is warmed through. Arrange on a pretty platter and serve.
- 16 Servings; 2 pita triangles per serving Nutrition information per serving: 70 calories, 2.5g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 1mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 10g total carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 2g protein