- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Baked Kibbeh. A Lebanese dish made from ground lamb or beef, and spice, this is kind of like a Middle Eastern style meatloaf.
- 2 pounds of finely ground lamb or beef
- 1/2 cup of bulghur wheat that has been soaked in water, then drained well
- 1/2 large onion, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- about 1 tablespoon olive oil
- black pepper to taste
- sumac *Â to taste
- Mix everything except the nuts. Lay half of meat mixture in 9x13 dish and top with half the nuts. Add remaining meat. Drizzle olive oil the top and sprinkle with lots of black pepper and a little sumac. Bake for 1 hour.
- Note: In cities with a large population of Lebanese and Syrians, the butchers will prepare a special grind of meat for Kibbeh. Check it out.
- * Sumac is a dark red berry which grows wild in the Middle East, as well as in parts of Italy. You can find this ingredient in dried berry form, or ground, in Middle Eastern Markets. Sumac has a fruity, astrigent flavor that complement a variety of foods, from meat and fish to vegetables.