- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 9 ounces 62% semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons ( 3 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 granulated sugar
- whipped cream
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350ºF. Arrange 4 1 cup ovenproof coffee cups or mugs or 8 ounce ramekins in a baking or roasting pan.
- Place the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler set over gently simmering water, and whisk occasionally until the chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside. Stir the eggs and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer then set the bowl over simmering water and stir until warm to the touch.
- Place the bowl on a stand mixer and, using the whisk attachment, beat for 3 to 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Remove from the mixer, and fold the eggs into the chocolate mixture until it is light and smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the cups. Add enough very hot water to the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the cups. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. The Baked hot chocolate will be done when the tops loose their glossy finish. A wooden skewer inserted in the top will emerge clean, but batter toward the bottom of the cup will still be very moist.
- Carefully remove the cups from the pan. The cakes can be served warm, at room temperature, or covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day. To reheat, bring to room temperature and place in a preheated oven for 5 minutes, or until warm.
- Served topped with a dollop of whipped cream