- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/baked-artichokes-with-coddled-eggs-nicoise
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Baked Artichokes with Coddled Eggs Nicoise. This dramatic dish features eggs baked in artichoke hearts with a fabulous tomatoe and fresh basil sauce.
- 4 medium to large globe artichokes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 plum tomatoes, skinned, seeded and cut into small dice
- 8 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400Â° F. To create a central cavity in each artichoke, pull out the small inner leaves, then use a teaspoon to scrape out the fibrous choke.
- Place the artichokes in a baking dish and crack an egg into the center of each one. Season generously with salt and pepper and bake in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the eggs are lightly set.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Reheat the cooking liquid, then add the cream and boil for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and basil and season to taste. Place each artichoke on a serving plate, coat lightly with the sauce and serve immediately.