- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/bacony-barley-salad-with-marinated-shrimp
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 pound peeled cooked shrimp (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen), tails removed, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- Makes 4 Servings 1 3/4 cups each
- 1. Cook bacon in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until crispy, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towel; discard fat.
- 2. Add water and salt to the pan and bring to a boil. Add barley and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 3. Combine shrimp and lime juice in a large bowl. Add the cooked barley; toss to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to allow the barley to absorb some of the lime juice. Add tomatoes, onion, cilantro and the bacon; toss to coat. Add oil and pepper and toss again. Stir in avocado and serve.
- Per Serving: 393 calories; 18 g fat (3 g sat, 11 g mono); 228 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrate; 31 g protein; 7 g fiber; 671 mg sodium.
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Fiber (29% dv), Iron (25% dv), Folate (15% dv). High Fiber.