- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/bacon-and-mushroom-sonoma-jack-sandwich
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Savory Bacon and Mushroom Sonoma Jack Sandwich. This recipe won by talented Napa Valley chef J. Daniel won its author the Grand Prize in the Select Sonoma Recipe Contest.
- 8 slices of sandwich sourdough bread, preferably from a favorite local bakery--3/4 inch thick
- 6 ounces portabello mushrooms at least 5 inches in diameter and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 cups shredded Sonoma Jack Cheese
- 8 strips bacon, chopped into 1 inch sections
- 4 serrano chipotle chiles, sliced 1/8 inch thick (produced by Tierra vegetables, based in Healdsburg, CA, if you can't get these, use ordinary chipotles)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 3/8 cup sharp, hoppy ale
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 limes, each juiced into separate containers
- 4 large leaves of mustard greens, washed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- handful of arugula
- sprinkling of edible Nasturtium flowers
- For speed and ease of preparation, prepare and measure all ingredients before cooking.
- Butter bread (lightly) on both sides. Heat olive oil in large 12" skillet on medium high heat. Add chopped bacon and cook until almost crispy. Add chilies, sauté for 1 minute. Add garlic, sauté 1 minute. Bring bacon, chilies and garlic to one side of pan. Add Mushrooms to pan and sauté making sure to turn them for even cooking. Cook approx. 3-5 minutes until just cooked (slightly firm). De-glaze with ale (beer). Remove from heat. Add juice of one lime and mix all ingredients together. Set aside.
- Grill bread over medium heat on griddle. When grilled sides are golden brown, flip and lightly baste with lime juice. Add grated cheese to every other slice of bread. When cheese has melted and bread is golden brown, top with cooked mushroom mixture. Remove all slices from the griddle. Top mushroom-laden slices with mustard greens, folding each large green to fit. Top with second slice of grilled bread. baste lightly with lime juice. Cut each sandwich in half and serve hot.
- Presentation Lay sandwich on a generous bed of arugula and sprinkle with Nasturtium flowers. Leftover sauce from the Mushrooms also makes a delightful dressing.
- Recommended Refreshment
- More of that sharp, hoppy ale.