- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/asparagus-with-hard-boiled-eggs
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar, plus more for pickling
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Put the sliced shallots in a small cup and cover them with red wine vinegar. Set aside.
- Arrange the asparagus in a large skillet with the tips all facing the same direction. Add enough cold water to almost cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce the temperature and simmer for 2 to 5 minutes, just until the asparagus is slightly tender. Immediately drain the asparagus and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Arrange the asparagus in a small gratin dish or casserole. drain the shallots and rinse them briefly under cold water, then sprinkle them on the asparagus. Cut the eggs into quarters and arrange them on the asparagus. Whisk together the olive oil, the 1 1/2 tablespoons of vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste, then pour the vinaigrette over the asparagus and eggs. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper if desired.
- For a picnic, serve the dish cold or at room temperature. It can be refrigerated for up to 2 days, though if you plan to chill it for long, toss it just before serving and add the eggs at the last minute. For dining at home or a backyard picnic, the dish is great served warm.