- Recipe created by FabFood on Dec 22, 2010
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/almond-cupcakes-with-orange-frosting
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Delicious almond cupcakes with zesty orange frosting.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup natural almonds (with skin), toasted lightly, cooled, and finely grounded in a blender
- 1 1/4 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, the almonds, the baking powder, and a pinch of salt. In another bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the shortening and the granulated sugar. Beat in the egg and the almond extract, and beat in the flour mixture alternately with the water. Beat well after each addition.
- Divide the batter among 12 paper-lined 1/2-cup muffin tins and bake the cupcakes in the middle of a preheated 350°:F. oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Take the cupcakes out and place them onto a rack, allowing them to cool completely.
- In another bowl beat together the confectioners' sugar, the butter, the zest, and the juice, beating until the icing is fluffy, and spread the icing on the cupcakes.