- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/alice-medrich-s-chocolate-dipped-caramel-apples
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- up to 16 small apples, cold
- 1 1/4 pounds chocolate
- 5 to 6 ounces chopped toasted nuts (optional)
- long-handled silicone spatula or wooden spoon
- candy thermometer
- up to 16 Popsicle sticks
- Meanwhile rinse the spatula or spoon before using it again later. Uncover the pot and wash the sides once more. Insert the candy thermometer without letting it touch the bottom of the pot. Cook, uncovered, without stirring, until the mixture reached 305Â° F., 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the cream to a simmer and keep it hot until needed When the sugar mixture reached 305Â° F., turn the heat off. Stir in the butter chunks. Gradually stir in the hot cream; it will bubble up and steam dramatically, so be careful. Turn the heat back on under the pot so that the mixture boils energetically but not violently. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the temperature reaches 250Â°F., about 30 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the vanilla. Transfer the caramel into a smaller pot or heatproof bowl deep enough to dip the apples. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Impale each apple on a stick. Holding the stick, dip and appple into the caramel, allowing the excess to flow back into the pot. Set the apple on a sheet of wax paper. If the caramel gets too cool it will slide entirely off the apples! If necessary, reheat gently (without simmering), then continue to dip. Repeat to coat each apple. Let the dipped apples set until the caramel is cool and firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Melt 1 pound of chocolate (see links below for instructions). Dip each apple into the chocolate, allowing excess chocolate to flow back into the bowl. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Set the dipped apples on a tray lined with wax paper. Apples coated with untempered chocolate must be refrigerated to prevent discoloration. apples coated with tempered chocolate may be kept at room temperature.