Hot buttered rum is a toasty holiday beverage that makes a thoughtful and comforting homemade gift. With this gift basket, all your friend has to provide is the hot water!
DIY hot buttered rum gift basket recipe
- Hot buttered rum batter:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 pinches cloves
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 half-pint jar with airtight lid
- 1 pen or marker
- 1 blank marking tag or label
- Gift basket or bag
- 1 small bottle (at least 7-1/2 ounces) dark or spiced rum
- 2-4 microwave-safe mugs
- Mix the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, clove and orange zest in a small bowl until a uniform batter-like mixture has been achieved.
- Spoon the mixture into the airtight jar and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to give your gift.
- To put together your gift, use a pen or marker to write on the tag with the instructions below and affix it to the jar. Place it in a gift bag or basket with the bottle of rum and the mugs. Store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to give it as a gift. It can safely stay out of the fridge for an hour or 2 awaiting your gift exchange.
Instructions for the tag:
Mix 2 tablespoons batter with 1-1/4 ounces rum and 3/4 cup boiling water.
- The butter mix can be refrigerated for up to 2 months or frozen for up to 1 year (per Wikipedia).
- For kid-friendly buttered “rum,” use a little rum extract in place of the rum or mix some molasses with a little pineapple juice and some almond extract.
- Dark brown sugar will add more depth.
- Spiced rum will make the mix extra-spicy.
- To divide this recipe among multiple people, use flasks or individual (airplane) sized rum bottles and smaller jars and reduce the number of mugs as needed.