Homemade ginger simple syrup lends an extra-spicy flair to this fun and flavorful cocktail. Just a sip and you’ll remember that the snap in gingersnaps is about the ginger, not about the crisp of the cookie.
Ginger snap martini recipe
- 1 gingersnap cookie
- 6 ounces vodka
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons ginger syrup, or to taste (recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 generous dash cinnamon
- 1 dash allspice
- Place the gingersnap cookie in a small plastic bag and seal it, squeezing out as much air as possible. Take a clean dish towel or several sheets of paper towels rolled up, and place it on top of the gingersnap bag on a stable, hard surface. Use a tenderizing mallet or other hard, heavy object to crush it well. Dump the contents onto a small plate.
- Using water, dampen the rim of 2 martini glasses with your finger. Turn them upside-down and twist them in the gingersnap crumbs to rim the edge of the glass. Set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, shake the vodka, ginger syrup, molasses, cinnamon and allspice vigorously until the shaker turns cold in your hands. Strain the drink into the martini glasses and serve.
Ginger simple syrup recipe
- 2 ounces fresh ginger
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- Cut the ginger, unpeeled, into small pieces.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cut ginger, water, sugar and salt, and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Using a fine-mesh strainer, strain the liquid. Discard the ginger chunks.