Granita is a Sicilian semi-frozen dessert similar to sorbet. And it can be used to make one killer cranberry cosmo! Here, we use fresh cranberries to make a delicious granita that can be eaten on its own, and make it even more enticing with booze and a beautiful glass.
Fresh cranberry cosmopolitan recipe
Yields about 4
- 6 ounces vodka
- 10 ounces cranberry granita (recipe below)
- 2 ounces orange liqueur
- 2 ounces lime juice
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, shake all the ingredients vigorously until the shaker turns very cold in your hands. Pour the mixture into 4 martini glasses, garnish with lime wheels or fresh cranberries and serve cold.
Fresh cranberry granita recipe
Serves about 4
- 1 cup water
- 2-3/4 ounces (about 3/4 cup) fresh cranberries, washed and drained
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon or lime zest
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the water, cranberries and sugar to a simmer, cooking until the cranberries begin to pop (about 7 minutes).
- Remove the pan from the heat and use a stick blender or blender to purée them for about 60 seconds.
- Situate a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and carefully pour the cranberry purée through the strainer to remove the skins. Don’t press to speed the process or bits of the skin could get through.
- Add the zest to the strained liquid and mix well. (Discard the skins.)
- Place the mixture into the freezer in a shallow pan and allow it to set for between 6 hours and overnight.
- Scrape the frozen ice mixture with a fork.