Stir-fried calf brains
Everyone serves food that looks scary on Halloween, but why serve food that just looks scary? With a little creativity and a trip to the butcher, you can get calf's brains and other offal meats. Then all you need to do is take them home, cook them and give your friends a real scare this holiday season.
Yields 4 servings
- 1 pound calf brains, cut into 2 x 1-inch rectangles
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 8 tablespoons broth
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Liberally coat the calf brains in salt and pepper and set aside.
- Put a wok or skillet on a burner over high heat and let it get very hot.
- Add the oil and let it get hot for 30 seconds.
- Add the garlic and cook it for 30 seconds.
- Add the green pepper and a pinch of salt. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the onion and carrot and cook until the carrot is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of vegetables.
- Add the calf brains and cook them 3 minutes per side or until done all the way through (they will darken noticeably in color).
- Add the broth, soy sauce, tamari and sugar and stir until thick.