If your bloody mary recipe could use a little shakeup (pun intended), we recommend this Italian version made with a rosemary-infused vodka you can make yourself.
Bloody maria recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian or pizza seasoning (we recommend the gourmet kind in the grinder)
- 1 lime wedge (save for drink recipe, too)
For the drink:
- 1-1/4 ounces rosemary vodka
- 2 (5.5 ounce) cans vegetable juice (we used V-8)
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian or pizza seasoning
- 20 drops hot sauce, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Ice (to chill)
- 1 sprig rosemary, 2 grape tomatoes and an asiago cheese cube for garnish
- For the rim, sprinkle kosher and celery salt and Italian or pizza seasoning in a circle about the circumference of the rim of your glass on a small appetizer plate. Use the lime wedge to wet the rim of a tall glass, then swirl the rim in the seasoning and salt mixture on the plate to coat the rim with the spices.
- In a cocktail shaker, put the ice, rosemary vodka, vegetable juice, garlic powder, Italian or pizza seasoning, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and celery salt, and then squeeze the remaining lime juice into the shaker.
- Top the shaker and shake for 20 or 30 seconds or until the outside of the shaker begins to show condensation.
- Strain the mixture into the cocktail glass, leaving the ice in the shaker.
- Garnish by using a toothpick (or 2, depending on the diameter of your cocktail glass) to skewer the grape tomatoes on either side of the asiago cheese cube and balance it across the rim. Insert a sprig of rosemary (if 1 sprig is too short, you can use a short piece of chive or green onion to tie 2 together). Serve cold.